Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sacred Seven

Sacred Seven:  B+

I found out about Sacred Seven because I saw it on the Shini-subs blog while I was waiting for Nisemonogatari to be available, and while the screencaps they used to title the images were full of ninja maids, I was kind of curious (maybe because of the ninja maids).  So I downloaded it and watched the opening and was like 'huh, that looks like it could be okay.'

A couple months later I actually got around to watching it, and the first episode I was like 'Huh, this could be neat, they had a couple neat mythology references, I'd be happy if that kept up.  Other than that, they're gonna fight some Darkstones every week and there'll be some romance and mostly it'll just be kinda okay.'

Well, I wasn't entirely wrong in my analysis, but what surprised me was how well-orchestrated what I was right about was.  The romance doesn't feel forced and doesn't overwhelm the main story, the drama is reasonable (if a little horrific) and while the villain does prove to be fairly predictable in his goals he isn't really given the chance to pontificate on it, so it doesn't have time to get old.

It wasn't a show that could have ever been an A for me, but for what it is, it's very good.  Sacred Seven is a show about getting a badass magic battlesuit and fighting evil statues.  If you can get into that, you'll have a lot of fun with it, but don't ask too much of it, or it'll start to let you down.

No comments: