Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Infinite Stratos

So this is an incomplete series, I can't give a fully review of this show yet.  I'll post a followup when all twelve episodes have aired.  I started watching it because it's being subbed by the same folks who are subbing Toaru Majutsu no Index II and Kore wa Zombie desu ka, both of which I'm enjoying (if not quite completed).  And they had a couple funny shots from IS, so I watched the first episode.

I wasn't impressed, but I don't have a lot of other new stuff, so I tonight I figured I'd watch the second.

The mecha are gorgeous and the combat is lovingly rendered, and the events of the story are surprising and twisty.  The weakest part of the story is the romance plot, which rather impressively conspires to place the main character at the center of a Love Dodecahedron.  His popularity as the only boy in an all-girl school isn't necessarily inaccurate, but it's a little bit overplayed.

And yet, to avoid any significant spoilers, every time the series is getting bad enough that I'd stop watching, something unpredictable and awesome happens that keeps my interest.  As usual, the series starts out within a step of where it'll end up, and it started out as a C.  With solid buildup and resolution it could be a high B, with a really miserable one it could be a D.

Would I recommend it?  If you're willing to swallow some awkward romance plots for some absolutely glorious mechanized violence mostly perpetrated by teenage girls in swimsuits wearing techno-armor, rock out.  If you're looking for well-written characters and clever dialogue, and aren't that into mecha or laser swords or explosions or girls in swimsuits, go ahead and skip it.

No comments: