Thursday, March 17, 2011

Infinite Stratos: Update

So, I finished the last post around episode 6.  Having just finished episode 9 (which is the obligatory beach episode), my opinion of the series has improved.  It will take a truly awful ending drop this series to a D, and it's got a good chance at being a B series.

A lot of the weaknesses in characterization have been lampshaded, which eases my mind about them, and we've had a bit of time away from plot to get to know the girls (who are now in full on vicious competition mode).

I still would characterize it as a bit of a guilty pleasure series, but it has avoided the thing I was most afraid of.  I worried that Ichika was going to kick all the girls' asses and prove how superior it is to have a Y chromosome, which has been mercifully avoided completely.  The series has taken a few hops in the direction of comedy as well, which also eases my mind regarding everything.

However, due to the earthquake and Ayako Fansub's general laziness, I suspect it'll be a while before I get to finish the series, which is a shame because we're into the home stretch, where they get to try and wrap up what has been thus far the background plot.  How well they do it will be the deciding factor in whether it's a C or a B.

No comments: