Monday, March 12, 2012

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt:  N/A

Okay, I promise I won't make a habit of failing to rate shows, but this one stands out as existing outside of my letter grading system.

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt is a series made in late 2010 by Studio Gainax (of Evangelion and Gurren Lagann fame) which I can only begin to describe as "A x-rated love letter to Jhonen Vasquez by way of the Powerpuff Girls."

The series notably is very western in its sensibilities: its heavily episodic nature, animation style and being set in something which resembles America more than Japan.  The series also uses an inordinate amount of Engrish obscenity, in fact, obscenity, innuendo and toilet humor are the order of the day for this highly toxic 13-episode joyride through a series of themed episodes, some referential, some bizarre and some downright gross.

It is not for everyone, but if you are the sort of person with a truly depraved sense of humor who appreciates the humor for the sake of crossing lines that maybe shouldn't be crossed, such as a magical girl transformation sequence which is a pole-dancing striptease, a character who has sex almost every episode, usually loudly just offscreen and a mascot sidekick who is brutally murdered by his masters on a regular basis and spends much of his 'idle' time apparently masturbating a zipper.

PSG is genuinely funny in its dirty, going-too-far sort of way, but the fact is that it is SO much not for everyone that saying it's good or it's bad is very difficult.  I loved it, but felt the need to inflict it (not share, inflict) on my friends.  Some of my friends I knew would like it, because it's their kind of messed up.  Some of my friends I don't mention it to, because it's really not.

No comments: