Monday, November 4, 2013

This Season!

So while I figure out how I'm going to even try to describe Everyday Lives of High School Boys, I figured I'd do a quick post on the shows I'm watching and not watching this season.

Infinite Stratos Season 2:  I know I said I'd watch a second season if they made it, but oh my god is it bad.  Provisional D.

BlazBlue Alter Memory:  As a fan of the franchise I appreciate the new medium and perspective the anime provides, but the animation quality is positively embarrassing.  Provisional C.

Kyoukai no Kanata:  Kyoto Animation's work is as usual gorgeous, and now that we're about halfway through the season we're coming up to what the story is about, and it's working for me.  Not a piece of staggering genius, but certainly fun to watch.  Provisional B.

Kyousou Giga:  I have to admit, the ONA confused the crap out of me, but the actual series proper is proving to be a really awesome eastern fairy tale, a story about magic and family.  Kind of hard to follow, but definitely fun to watch.  Provisional A.

Kill la Kill:  Being the spiritual sequel to Gurren Lagann and containing a lot of girls in skimpy clothing, it's an extremely divisive series.  Some interesting hypotheses on its meaning here, and I hope that this person is right.  It's definitely starting to pick up now that we're about a quarter of the way through, and I think it definitely has the potential to be A or even S rank.  Even if it doesn't live up to that, I'm still enjoying it.

Unbreakable Machine-Doll:  I haven't been able to get into it yet, much as I like the idea of cute steamagic robot girls, I was kinda turned off by them going to a high school for arcanotech.  Maybe I'll give it another try later.

Strike the Blood:  Tried to watch the first episode, couldn't get through it, the premise felt hackneyed as hell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That argument is pure justification. Due to the way sexuality and lechery is treated as humor in Kill La Kill (The Mankanshoku(sp?) family peeping on Matoi in her sleep, the way Mako regularly describes Matoi by her breasts, etc) as well as the way armor is designed for women as opposed to men (i.e. for women it's generally sexualized while for men it's generally empowering) it comes out as the same ol' sexist claptrap.

The thing is, Kill La Kill is good despite all the sexism. Yes, the sexism makes it hard to watch for people who are aware, but there's some really interesting stuff going on in that series.