Wednesday, July 31, 2013

What I'm Up To

So after a break from anime during which I was playing League of Legends for several months, I'm back to watching.

Partially the reason for the lack of updates is that practically nothing that aired during Spring was worth watching or reviewing in my mind.  I've been keeping up with Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S, but it's so far been a different-perspective retelling of one of the arcs of first-season Index, and keeps with that series' general sense of 'if you don't look closely, it's pretty fun.'  I also watch Nyaruko-san W, which doesn't deserve it's own review, it's more of the same.  I reviewed Oreimo 2 (though it's not completely over, it's got 2 more episodes to air) and Red Data Girl, and that's pretty much everything I was actually watching.

None of my favorite studios, Shaft, Gainax and Kyoto Animation did anything last season, is really what I'm saying here.  So it was pretty slow.

This season, though, is looking up, especially with Monogatari Series second season, which is 4 episodes in and already shaping up to be amazingly well-written and crafted, as I've come to expect.  I haven't gotten into Kyoto Animation's new series 'Free' (which looks to be very man-servicey), but I'm also keeping up on the new Rozen Maiden, which I'm enjoying despite its slow build up in the first few episodes and the weirdness of the whole alternate universe plotline, which is being handled much better than I was originally expecting.  I watched the first two episodes of WataMote, but I found them profoundly depressing, so I haven't kept going with it.  Maybe I'll be in the mood later.

There's a second season of Symphogear airing, and I'm not yet willing to say it's a worthy successor to a diamond in the rough first season.  I'm also watching Tamayura season 2, but that's really just slice of life fluffiness.  I think that's everything that I'm actively watching that's airing currently.

Finally, I'm rewatching Martian Successor Nadesico, as an experiment in how well it holds up, I last watched it about fifteen years ago.  First impressions are ambivalent, it's got some great moments and characters, but it's trying very hard to be a serious parody, and it's not quite working out for it.

I'll have some real reviews for you all soon.

No comments: