Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Potemayo

Potemayo:  B+

So, I mentioned in my FLCL review that it wasn't just weird a Japanese thing that don't make any sense.

Potemayo is.

Sunao is a young man in middle school (he's about 13 or 14) who finds a strangely adorable creature in his refrigerator, which he names Potemayo (a portmanteau of 'Potato' and 'Mayonnaise'), on account of what he was going to the fridge for when he found her.  Not long after, another creature like Potemayo comes out of his fridge, which, through a series of circumstances involving Potemayo chasing a bird and a number of Sunao's classmates chasing Potemayo, is named Guchuko.

Adorable hilarity ensues.  There's really not much more to describe.

Potemayo is a audacious comedy, but it would be misleading to say that most of the humor comes from the possibly alien creatures, in many episodes they are more or less set-dressing and we're really here to watch the insanity that is the characters in Sunao's class (and, indeed, Sunao himself, who is uncannily stoic).

Indeed, it's a difficult series to criticize.  It's funny, it's short and the few serious moments it takes manage to work remarkably well.  I only give it a B+ rather than an A because, well, it IS a weird Japanese series, and it's a little bit inaccessible to western audiences purely because we'll be inclined to assume we're not getting something, or that this is just because it's Japanese, rather than that the series is just reveling in its own absurdity, and the absurdity of the relatively believable people it portrays.

If you're looking for series that won't go taxing your sanity or will treat the idea of alien creatures arriving on earth with anything like gravity or realism, this is not the show for you.  But if you can handle some light and fluffy, incredibly adorable and occasionally extremely sharp comedy that is laughing at itself as much as you should be laughing at it, check out Potemayo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do realize that this anime makes several allusions to Brokeback Mountain (the gay friend who is totally in love with his cross-dressing pal who is actually in love with Potemayo says as such although the name of the movie is partially bleeped out and throughout the show the semi "cowboy" theme is used to signify his unrequited gay love), and expertly uses the Rule Of Threes to the point of almost perfect precision?

Potemayo is one of those shows that is basically one of my favorite anime series, and is probably my favorite comedy anime series ever. To be fair, this show is less "weird Japan" as much as it's just out there in general, but then again, a lot of the comedy gold from the Looney Tunes cartoons was also pretty out there as well but is still hilarious as hell.

I am curious if you have also watched the OVA/extra episodes as well. They all introduce side-stories that don't directly fit in with the main show, but they're all still entertaining.

All in all, I personally think that Potemayo has to be seen with others to be appreciated the most. I've watched it about three or so times (showed it to various people), so I think that's probably why I've picked up on a lot of the subtle stuff. :)

Headless said...

I got to watch all of the DVD bonus episodes but I didn't have the opportunity to watch the OVAs. The day Potemayo expands to 2000 times her size contains what really is for me one of the finest moments of comedy I've seen in anime.

They mention Brokeback Mountain by name in episode 2 or 3, but I wouldn't really say they 'allude' to it as much as they use it as a way of stating 'by the way, these boys are kinda gay.' While I did find its handling particularly hilarious, I didn't feel that it deserved a unique mention.

I'm certain it would have been better with friends, being a comedy. Unfortunately my friends don't come over for full-series marathons as often as they should, so I was forced to watch it alone.

I would be inclined to agree that if you're into this sort of humor it's going to be one of the funniest things you'll ever see, but certain parts of the show felt somehow inaccessible. Not to me, obviously, but my grading was based more on that it seems SO easily mistaken for a Weird Japanese Thing.